[Foundation-l] Black market science

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 04:08:14 UTC 2011

> Remember that en:wp's "no original research" rule was invented for
> physics cranks. And even with fairly light moderation, arXiv features
> some spectacularly gibbering [[green ink]]. This will need some
> thought to create something that's actually useful to anyone,
> anywhere, ever.

A "free journal" would be very unlike our existing projects.   The
scientists need to be able to just take their entire publication
process to a free platform-- with no other alterations in how they do
things.   Science is its own community, so it wouldn't be a project
that 'anyone can edit', it would a project that does exactly what the
existing process does, except for free.

And being free is inherently better.  Nobody who spends two years of
their life on a two page article wants to see it hidden behind a pay
wall.    Scientists really want to be free, they just need the right
partner to help them.

Alec