[Foundation-l] Making wikimediafoundation.org more open to contributions

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 16:20:31 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think it would do us a lot of good to be able to recombine all of
>> these topics so when we are looking for a calendar or a presentation
>> bank or a list of media or whatever there is ONE place to go, not
>> five. Such a solution would make it easier to fold separate wikis
>> (such as a conference wiki) back into Meta when we were done with
>> them, too.
>>

> Agreed there.  A couple weeks ago while wrapping up the fundraiser and doing
> some other work, bouncing accounts between meta, en.wp, and tenwiki got to a
> maddening point in figuring out just where I was in the wikiverse surrounded
> by a thousand tabs.

Yes... death by a thousand tabs is a bit like death by a thousand papercuts!

When this discussion came up in person for me a few weeks ago, someone
pointed out that MediaWiki did need its own wiki, because it is a
separate project, and I think that is a good argument (c.f. the other
foundation-l thread about the usability wiki). But for everything
else... the lines blur.

Having many wikis is an ongoing source of irritation for many, and it
would be great to resolve this issue. Are there good arguments *for*
having separate sites? Or at least for not recombining them into meta
with a redirect from the clean URL?

-- phoebe