[Foundation-l] Community maps

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:37:47 UTC 2011

Originally this idea was proposed as something that would be useful to map
out past/forthcoming GLAM collaborations and to divide them by type (content
donation, conference...), but it was agreed that the range of Wikimedia
community things that could be mapped are much broader and therefore it
would make sense if there was one central project rather than a single
purpose map.

I find the two particularly neat things about this map is that can be
technically achieved are that you can set paramaters to toggle sets of tags
on/off (which makes it easy to sort for what you are interested in) and also
that it can draw on OpenStreetMap data if you prefer.

I recall seeing a thread recently (can't remember where) that was discussing
how we don't really have a good global calendar of activities for the
Wikiverse, and I think this falls into the same category... we don't really
have a good global "what has happened/will happen near me?" map.

However... it's probably deceptively tricky to get this up and running on
MediaWiki??

-Liam

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata