[Foundation-l] Questions about new Fellow

whothis whothith at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 06:36:06 UTC 2011

Thanks for introducing yourself Achal after so many years on the Advisory
Board. Dare I suggest, you add part of that introduction to your Advisory
Board page on one of the wikis. About the 5 year plan, dare I suggest you
get around to reading that one of these days, you're on the Advisory Board
after all.

Let me clarify something, the page thats being linked to by Erik Moeller is
a grant page, you are appointed as a fellow. I might be wrong on this but
none of the other fellows had to apply for grants or the majority of them
did not. Even the existence of such a process was unknown to most. The grant
in question, I have no issue with, you are more than welcome to pursue any
research you want, its your position as the fellow that I am concerned
about. You can't be on an advisory board and tell a non-profit organization
what to do as a pro-bono advisor to the board and then get paid by the said
foundation as a fellow a few years into your tenure, serving both positions
at the same time. This I believe, wreaks of impropriety, none of the other
Advisory Board members ever had or will have the same privilege I assume,
which is why I replied to this thread in the first place.

This is something that the Foundation should have checked and announced
before your appointment. In my opinion, you can have one or the other, you
can either be a paid staff member/researcher for as long as the foundation
employs you or you can be on the board as an advisor.

Also, from your and Erik's admission above, the scope of your involvement
seems to be far larger than I previously thought, encompassing the board,
chapters and "other kinds of affiliation that might usefully exist within
our world", this only heightens my concerns even more.

I hope others reading this realize the implication of your appointment. I
had no idea who you were before this, and still don't, its nothing personal
against you. Its the foundation I am bringing this up to, which I hope
realizes, is for their own benefit.

E. Forrester