[Foundation-l] January 15 retro?

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 10:50:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:59 AM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Steven Walling wrote:
>> "The other Wikipedias weren't started on that date, so they have nothing to
>> celebrate or commemorate."
>>
>> The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
>> English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than 100
>> events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
>> Antarctica.
>
> That's incredibly poor logic. Only the English Wikipedia is going to be ten
> years old on January 15, 2011. If people around the world want to throw
> parties for the English Wikipedia's tenth anniversary, they're of course
> free to. But that doesn't change the facts, even if people will be partying
> in six of seven continents. Don't be silly.

If we're gonna go the silly route, I'm happy to say that as a French
living in Germany, I couldn't care less what dates the French and
German Wikipedia were actually "online". What's fun here is that there
was a time when there wasn't Wikipedia, and there was a time when
suddenly there was Wikipedia.

So yep, I'd say go for retro and agree with Steven, should be retro
and not Wikipedia 10 mark (people will have thought we have changed
our logo). Or some kind of wikidoodle thing that someone comes up with
quick (I hope Google is making their own Doodle for us ;)), but that
should be on ALL Wikipedias, not just on the English one. It only
makes sense if it's everywhere and has wordlwide impact.

And I go with Lodewijk. Man, if there are ways of partying twice,
let's go for it!

Delphine
--
@notafish