[Foundation-l] January 15 retro?

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 01:37:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> wouldn't it be nice to change the logo of Wikipedia on January 15th back for
> one day to those old logo's? Give people a retro feeling? (would love to see
> enwiki go back to the american flag, but perhaps the round text logo would
> lead to less overload of the OTRS queues) How can these logo's be changed if
> there is a wish to do so? It used to be possible through Wiki.png, but that
> is no longer the case.
>
> Best, Lodewijk

I think we should have a big flashing marquee banner that says "making
the internet not suck since 2001!"

/KIDDING. (mostly). It would be fun to have a Wikipedia 10 small
banner or special logo, at least for the day. I agree that the retro
logos would be a kick for those of us who remember them but would be
pretty obscure for the vast majority of current readers and editors...
so maybe a modified logo with "10" added somehow, the way many
projects have done for various anniversaries. Maybe it could link to
the ten.wikipedia.org site ... I wonder if it would be a good idea to
add some "how to get involved" materials there too, to encourage all
those curious readers who click through to edit :)

-- phoebe

p.s. I used to work for a research lab that had regular trips to
Antarctica to study penguins ... if only I had known, I could have
gone along and done Wikipedia outreach.