[Foundation-l] Article Feedback Tool 5 testing deployment

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sat Dec 24 16:43:47 UTC 2011

Oliver Keyes wrote:
> To reply to Jussi; I think we're uniformly confused as to what you think is
> the link between an encyclopedia written by experts, and an encyclopedia
> that asks average joes to provide comments on articles (other than the
> "encyclopedia" bit, of course :-)). If you want this thread to go anywhere
> productively on that issue, you should probably start by explaining what
> you see as the link.

Past versions of this extension have included a call for people to
self-identify as experts (or as "highly knowledgeable") in an article's
topic.[1]

It seems like version 5 no longer includes this checkbox,[2] but I think
it's slightly unreasonable to suggest that only "average Joes" are being
asked to provide comments on articles.

I read Cimon's concerns as this tool (and future iterations) moving closer
to the idea of expert-approved or expert-endorsed revisions (implicitly or
explicitly). It's an interesting dichotomy between the extension's stated
goal of trying to attract new users and the extension's past (and present?)
interface that encourages self-identified expert commentary, isn't it?

MZMcBride

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Article_feedback#Version_3
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Article_feedback/Version_5