[Foundation-l] The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Dec 14 14:03:38 UTC 2011

On 12/12/11 9:47 PM, Andrew Gray wrote:
> On 12 December 2011 19:22, Möller, Carsten<c.moeller at wmco.de>  wrote:
>> Who has asked for such a silly feature?
>> Every uploader sees the image he/she is uploading and has made the necessary rotation beforehand.
> I've certainly uploaded screwily-rotated files before; it's fairly
> common, especially with some Windows software, for an image to be
> shown to the user as rotated while retaining its "set" rotation in a
> way that's not visible until it's sent somewhere.
This is also the default in OSX, fwiw, in both iPhoto and Preview. I
would suspect that many casual users don't even realize that a rotation
is happening: their camera's orientation sensor sets an EXIF flag, and
Preview then displays the image with the correct orientation based on
the EXIF, all done silently. Subsequently uploading it to Commons
*prior* to the new auto-rotation support is then likely to have resulted
in unexpected results.

(I agree on the troubles with old images.)

-Mark