[Foundation-l] "Terms of use" : Anglo-saxon copyright law and Anglo-saxon lawyers : a disgrace for Continental Europeans

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Wed Dec 14 06:09:40 UTC 2011

Sorry about the confusion. I was talking most recently about the GFDL,
which does not mention moral rights. CC-BY-SA does mention moral rights
(to state that it does not affect them). Interestingly, the U.S. port of
the CC-BY-SA license does not include a disclaimer about moral rights,
but this is irrelevant since the WMF uses the unported license, not the
U.S. version. The unported license is designed to be legally useful in
as many countries as possible, and during the 4.0 draft process they are
hoping to improve this aspect of the license. From everything I've
heard, Creative Commons is hoping to move away from ported licenses, as
these have been a major headache for everyone, especially in regards to
license compatibility. The idea to have numerous localized Terms of Use
for Wikipedia (based on the laws of each country) is an interesting
idea. It would probably be a nightmare to maintain, but we've managed
worse. I would love to hear Geoff's thoughts on this.

Getting back to your original point, I suppose it's true that the Terms
of Service could affect the protection of moral rights (in certain
countries), even if the license explicitly doesn't. However, after doing
more research into this, it looks like it's a moot issue. Moral rights
(per Common law) are for the protection of literary and artistic works,
not factual reference works. Works like encyclopedias, dictionaries,
newspaper articles, etc. are not covered by moral rights. I imagine the
reasoning behind this is that such works entail a minimum degree of
creative "authorship" and are often published without attribution. If
I'm mistaken in this conclusion, please let me know.

Ryan Kaldari