[Foundation-l] Chapters

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 22:16:37 UTC 2011

It was interesting to hear from Switzerland, here in the UK things are very
different.  One difference between the UK model and the US/Swiss model is
that the tax largely accrues to the charity not to the donor. Another
feature of UK charity giving is that it is heavily skewed towards legacies,
but with an important area of payroll giving.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Payroll_giving&action=historysubmit&diff=440298809&oldid=379043086
,

And while we might be cautious about taking money from some companies
directly, it is a very different matter if that same company is matching the
charity donations that their employees give via Payroll giving.

There is also a tradition of charity endorsed calenders and Christmas cards
that for some charities can represent an important revenues stream. I would
suggest that a charity which can produce "Dad's presents" such as a
Battleship themed calender has a ready niche in this market.

Some of that may be similar to whatever country you live in, but the odds
are that unless you come from the UK parts of it will be very different. For
example Ireland has a system whereby charities endorse prize draws...
That's why big successful multinational charities tend to decentralise so
they can take advantage of such national differences.

WSC