[Foundation-l] How to free something from Wikipedia in the public domain?

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 13:05:27 UTC 2011

2011/8/26 Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com>:
> Assumptions: we are talking about a single version of the page with
> only one or just a few authors, and all authors have accepted to
> release the data in the public domain.

As I said before, I am targeting only a very specific subset of pages,
where contacting the authors won't be a problem.

2011/8/26 WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers at gmail.com>:

> It might be easier to persuade whatever the organisation it is that insists
> on PD to broaden their stance and become compatible with us.

Actually, this is about handling the import of Wiki Loves Monuments
data in OSM. Kolossos raised this on a OSM list:
http://gis.638310.n2.nabble.com/OSM-legal-talk-license-for-quot-Wiki-Loves-Monuments-quot-td6363317.html

OSM is currently trying to get away from CCBYSA. :) I'm inssiting on
PD instead of ODBL because I find it easier to explain the concept to
the other contributors that send them to read the text of yet another
license.

2011/8/26 Fae <faenwp at gmail.com>:
> Sounds a little problematic depending on the details. If the text was
> released on Wikipedia first, then the contributors agreed "to release
> your contribution under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 License". If the all the
> authors of the article can identify themselves as the same people who
> contributed under the named accounts for the original Wikipedia
> article then release to PD is no problem, in practice few articles
> only have a history of contributors who are using accounts associated
> with their legal identities.

That's precisely why I asked the question. The WMF have a procedure
for that, but other entities don't (or I'm not aware of it).

Strainu