[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 26 11:31:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:15:48AM +0100, David Gerard wrote:
> On 26 August 2011 08:55, Bishakha Datta <bishakhadatta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Are we truly on a slippery slope with 'informative labelling' with neutral
> > language? Or can this be considered another aspect of curation?
>

> We have a category system. Modulo idiots (the danger of a wiki is that
> people can edit it), it mostly works.
>
> How neutral can a "block any image in these categories" system be?

In that scenario: On day 1, the system, and categories, will be entirely
neutral. However the categories that are blessed (cursed) by the
image-hiding system are now potentially non-neutral.

Due to the way wikis work: by day ~365, the categories will very likely
be non-neutral in practice. We'll then be in the same situation as if we
had started out with non-neutral categories in the first place (verboten).

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning

--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72