[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 07:55:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 6:45 AM, David Goodman <dggenwp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to ask you something else. It's been suggested several times at
> various places that the present resolution is justified as a
> compromise to prevent a considerably more repressive form of
> censorship.

This implies that the proposed image hiding feature is a less repressive
form of censorship. I do not see the proposed feature as censorship - all
the images remain on the site. Nothing is removed. Nothing is suppressed.
Everything remains. [1]

I am however
> going to ask whether the  fact that such proposals were entertained,
> shows the validity of the argument that we're on a slippery slope.

Are we truly on a slippery slope with 'informative labelling' with neutral
language? Or can this be considered another aspect of curation?

> Once you admit censorship, it's hard to limit it; once you admit POV
> editing, it inevitable develops into arrant promotionalism.
> Censorship is inherently POV editing.

Are we really admitting censorship via the front or even through the back
door through the image hiding feature?

If everything remains on the site, and you and I can continue to see
everything that exists just as we do today, how are we 'admitting
censorship'? I have read the comments on meta, about the possibility of this
opening doors to government requests for removal of content - that, in my
view would be censorship. The Board resolution affirms that "Wikimedia
projects are not censored." [2]

Cheers
Bishakha

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship