[Foundation-l] Call for referendum

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 21 18:29:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 01:35:00PM -0700, Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> *Please distribute widely*
> *
> *
> *
> *
> *Call for referendum*:  The Wikimedia Foundation, at the direction of the
> Board of Trustees, will be holding a vote to determine whether members of
> the community support the creation and usage of an opt-in personal image
> filter, which would allow readers to voluntarily screen particular types of
> images strictly for their own account.

This is false. Having participated: there are no questions asking
whether members of the community "support the creation of an opt-in
personal image filter".

Even if the question had been asked as stated, it has been rendered
moot by further discussion and collaboration.

==Summary of discussion so far==

(please help if you think I'm forgetting major points!)

A personal image filter -in itself- does not cause as much trouble as
you might think...

... however, finding and/or generating the meta-data required to make such
a filter work has some flaws.
* The data may be open to attack
* Marking images may entail a POV value judgement
* Marking images may require an impractically large amount of volunteer work

(
For completeness: In the discussion, A small number of people have also taken the opportunity to advocate actual censorship of wikipedia and wikimedia
commons; or have advocated the use of the (new) metadata in parental
filters or other censorship tools.
)

== Next steps ==

I suggest that we now concentrate on constructively discussing the
meta-data ecology; including viability, security, and practicality.

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning

--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72