[Foundation-l] Genuine, Generous, and Grateful

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Aug 18 18:13:41 UTC 2011

On 18 August 2011 17:39, Tom Morris <tom at tommorris.org> wrote:
> More useful for smaller wikis. Tweeting new pages or recent changes
> for enwiki would probably destroy Twitter very quickly.
>
> When I was more involved with Citizendium, I wrote a script to pipe
> new pages into Twitter. It's still running:
> http://twitter.com/cz_newdrafts

Wikimedia article feeds on twitter:

@en_wikinews
@dewikinews
@wikinews (Chinese)

@el_wikipedia is an article counter
@wikipedia_de is the daily FA
@zhwiki_newpages is all new pages
@ZHWP is some form of selected article feed

Anyone know of other active ones?

The German approach here seems a pretty good one, at least to test the
water - daily featured article, plus possibly other front-page
content. Perhaps a feed of all new (rather than featured-that-day)
"quality" content would be interesting, to give people something they
might not see from the main page? A feed of enwiki's newly graded FA +
GA + FP would be about ten a day, which seems quite a reasonable
figure; I'm not sure what the figures are like for others, though, and
this would be a bit more unpredictable than the daily feeds.

As far as new articles, well. Feeding an unfiltered list would get a
lot of junk (and, perhaps more annoyingly, a lot of quickly dead
links). If we look at *surviving* pages, and assume we somehow would
be able to not send out the ones that are going to get deleted, then
we're looking at an article every forty seconds on enwiki, five
minutes on itwiki, ten minutes on jawiki, twenty minutes on huwiki...

(This might be an interesting tool for trying to stoke interest in
less active projects - feeds slow enough to not be annoying, but
varied enough they might catch people's attention. Hmm. I wonder what
overlap there is between [language groups common on twitter] and
[small WP projects needing users].)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk