[Foundation-l] Movement Roles: my suggestion of "Language Contact Persons"

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 21:13:23 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 22:16, Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> == Language Contact Person (LCP) ==
> I would like to suggest a small solution to solve a part of the
> problems. Every language version of Wikipedia should designate a
> "Language Contact Person" for relations with the Foundation (and
> national Wikimedia organizations). This LCP is to be elected by a poll
>  with the same requirements as for admins.
> [...]

I remember now discussion at Serbian Wikipedia from 2004. While admin
and bureaucrat permissions were not big deal at that time (one month
of activity for admin; two months for bureaucrat permissions), we
realized that we have to elect our ambassadors to Meta [1]. So, the
first three persons on the list were actually elected. Unfortunately,
the idea of Embassy was never really alive.

For some time I was thinking about opposite: Ambassadors of global
community at particular projects. Such persons would be responsible
for taking care about communication between global and local
community, to ask local community if they need something, to rely
important information and so on. I think that something like that
could work. Besides that, if we make it semi-formal (let's say,
contributor would have to pass elections at Meta), I think that it
would bring new momentum in participation of local communities in
global issues.

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Embassy#S