[Foundation-l] Forkability, its problems and our problems

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:55:46 UTC 2011

Here is a bigger problem.

Wikimedia Foundation wants to increase the participation and readers numbers
just because the capitalist mind of forcing steady growing. They don't know
how to reach that, just want to do it, and the participation growing is flat
since 2007. They tried to improve usability, and nothing happened. Now, they
are working in the gender issue. Tomorrow in the Global South. All them are
great news headlines for the politically correct western world, but, as the
Internet meme, they are doing it wrong.

Wikipedia grew exponentially in the first years, and no Wikimedia Foundation
was needed. Why? Because people easily saw which pages were needed. The
encyclopedia was a blank page. Today, Wikipedia is showed as the most
complete encyclopedia ever written. That is possible true, but that doesn't
mean it is complete. We don't have to ask for new users, we have to show
which stuff need to be written, and people will come. Really, users are
coming, in hordes, visiting numbers are growing but they don't know where
their help is needed.

Furthermore, offering trustworthy text and image dumps is not seductive.
Making forks easy is not seductive. That means re-using content but also
losing contributors which go to other communities. Don't expect much effort
in that.