[Foundation-l] We need to make it easy to fork and leave

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 08:06:13 UTC 2011

Hi!

> Here's the conclusion I've come to though. We need to get the software
> good enough, and simple enough, that it is firmly in the background.

OK!

> Mediawiki is like an old DOS computer that constantly drags you into
> programing mode, particularly if you fork.

Yes, especially if you actually are running it, all you do is sit in some black and white text screens, that definitely sucks.

> We need the equivalent of a
> Macintosh that almost anyone can use effortlessly. The emphasis needs to
> be on content, not on trying to figure out extensions and templates.

Yup, we need drag&drop forking support. With clouds nowadays that should be easy - you enter cloud account information (it may auto-detect password), and drag the website you want to fork onto a "drag here" target.
We should definitely work on this kind of functionality.  Then you click on it, and it runs, in a cloud!

Emphasis needs to be on content and DRM, so that people don't copy articles without leaving 30% of their revenue to your fork.
ArticleStore is going to be core essence of all content distribution, after it has been previewed on the website, of course, seamlessly integrated with reading devices, like computers.

It is easy to resolve templates and extensions iOS-development way, charge community for being able to write them, that will make the remaining ones truly useful, because someone was motivated to do that.
Of course, you need an approval process, but it is nothing technical, you can approve that stuff solely on moon phase or peyote effects :)

Anyway, we should definitely build something like that, just don't pay attention to suicide rate.

Cheers,
Domas