[Foundation-l] We need to make it easy to fork and leave

Oliver Moran oliver.moran at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 08:14:58 UTC 2011

Yes, it's not about the "end of the world is neigh" type scenario. It's just
a simple matter of, 'If I wanted a complete copy of Wikipedia, how do I get
it?'

There answer is that there are several ways.

First off, there are the DB dumps (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download). However, these
are so phenomenally large that they cannot be considered for everyday
use. These are what I assume professional forks of Wikipedia content are
based off today.

For everyday users, the simplest way to fork a project is to use
the Special:Export/Special:Import tools (e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Export). Using these, anyone can simply
choose the articles they want to fork, export them to a file, and then
import that file them into their own MediaWiki installation. Templates are
included and if images are from the Commons then these will be picked up by
a MediaWiki installation anyway.

There is also the API (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php), which is a very
useful tool. If someone had a particular requirement for forking (e.g. they
wanted to create a compendium of articles that they or their friends had
contributed to on Wikipedia), the API would be a very able tool to do
so. Yes, you need technical knowledge to do so, but no more than you would
need to properly maintain a fork in any case. For someone with medium
programmings skills, it's not hard, and there are tools out there to make it
even easier (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Client_Code).

In all, it is quite easy to fork any Wikimedia project. There may be
a question of distributed sharing of the DB dumps (e.g. share via a torrent
so that if the Wikimedia turned evil there may still be seeders of the DB
dumps out there). But, all things being considered, there are plenty of Plan
C's out there - and they are being used in practice already.

Regards,
Oliver