[Foundation-l] We need to make it easy to fork and leave

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 15 04:04:12 UTC 2011

On 12/08/11 20:55, David Gerard wrote:
> THESIS: Our inadvertent monopoly is *bad*. We need to make it easy to
> fork the projects, so as to preserve them.

I must have missed the place where you actually made this case. I
tried reading your blog posts but I didn't see it there.

In 2005 you said that the point is to insure the data against the
financial collapse of the Foundation. But the chance of that appears
to be vanishingly small, and shrinking as the Foundation gets larger.
If there was some financial problem, then we would have plenty of
warning and plenty of time to plan an exit strategy. The technical
risks (meteorite strike etc.) are also receding as we grow larger.

Also, you seem to be conflating forking with mirroring. If the
Foundation did get into trouble in say 2030, then presumably the
community would want a copy of the whole site as it is in 2030, not a
content fork from 2011.

-- Tim Starling