[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] We need to make it easy to fork and leave

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 12:52:11 UTC 2011

On 14 August 2011 13:46, Krinkle <krinklemail at gmail.com> wrote:

> The thread is about one of the following:
> * .. the ability to clone a MediaWiki install and upload it to your own domain
> to continue making edits, writing articles etc.
> * .. getting better dumps of Wikimedia wikis in particular (ie. Wikipedia)
> * .. being able to install MediaWiki easier or even online (like new wikis on
> Wikia.com)
> * .. making it easy for developers to fork the MediaWiki source code repository.

I was thinking of content and community forks specifically.

MediaWiki is ridiculously easy to set up and install. Setting up a
copy to fully function like Wikipedia is somewhat more difficult.

Forking the MediaWiki codebase is not hard, but probably not a good
idea. (The two cases I can think of are Citizendium and Wikia, and
both now work with and on the mainline and put their local stuff in an
extension.)

- d.