[Foundation-l] We need to make it easy to fork and leave

Bastien Guerry bzg at altern.org
Sat Aug 13 07:40:25 UTC 2011

+1 for the need to make it easy to fork (I suggested this back
in 2010 in Gdansk during the barcamp session.)

"Yaroslav M. Blanter" <putevod at mccme.ru> writes:

> I do agree that the monopoly, at least in this case, is a bad thing, but I
> do not see why stimulating creation of the forks would be the best way to
> create competition.

Forks are not only a matter of _competition_ between branches,
but also a matter of _freedom_.

The whole point of using CC-by-sa in WM project is to allow people
to reuse and to improve the content, either within the projects or
outside the projects.

No doubt that the content is being massively reused outside the WM
project.

But I doubt the content is improved outside the project -- which
is what matters most to me.  Various communities disagree on what
"improve" means, so it would be great if WM could let those
communities to fork the projects' content and start new ones.

The easiest way I can think of is a Mediawiki plugin that allows
people to grab content from WM projects and create new pages with
this content.

--
 Bastien