[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 89, Issue 30

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 08:07:25 UTC 2011

I think the nub of this debate is between those who see decentralisation as
inherently inefficient as in Phoebe's comment
/"decentralization is important" raises a whole bunch of other
important questions: is decentralization more important than efficiency as a
working principle?"

And those of us who see centralisation as inherently inefficient.

This is partly a philosophical debate, though hopefully one where most of us
are mid spectrum..I suspect most of us can think of things which work better
decentralised, and also things which work better when centralised.
Personally I'm a moderate decentralist - my experience is that in general
decentralised solutions work better than centralised ones, but I'm
sufficiently moderate as to concede that sometimes centralisation works
best.

As far as the Wikimedia movement is concerned I suspect that decentralised
solutions are more likely to be "efficient"/successful because they are more
compatible with the ethos of the community, and especially when knowledge of
cultural and legal quirks is important.

Remember we are a worldwide movement. Having a diverse group of people who
understand their own culture and are tolerant of others is a viable and
successful model for this. A centralised group making global decisions that
work in varied cultures is much more difficult model to make work. How many
people do we have who truly understand more than two or three of our globe's
cultures? Centralisation is much more difficult than decentralisation when
you are operating across multiple cultures.  - I'd be interested if anyone
can point to an efficient despite being centralised model that we could crib
from.

Sometimes centralisation is more efficient, for example IT, wherever I am in
the world I can edit the same wikis. But Tax systems are not centralised -
if we want tax privileges in as many countries as possible then a
decentralised model is inherently more efficient. Centralised fundraising
has left us overly dependent on the generousity of US donors, though I
appreciate that the fundraising team has tried to move away from that.. But
the last figures I've seen show a US based fundraising team that raises most
of their funds in the US.

WereSpielChequers