[Foundation-l] Chapters

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia-inc.com
Thu Aug 11 12:49:23 UTC 2011

On 8/10/11 7:22 PM, Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com wrote:
>  As for the rest I encourage you to exercise your
> moral duty by helping the chapters fulfill the reporting
> requirements, implement the financial controls, and operate
> transparently. You have been through this all before.  You were the
> chairman of the board when WMF was struggling with all of these
> items, so why not use your experience directing WMF through being out
> of compliance with such things to mentor those chapter which are struggling?

Of course.  My past experiences are what allow me to approach these
difficult issues without blaming anyone, and I think that the chapters
should not feel blamed.

Growing from a barely functioning chapter - usually just a group of
people who made a proposal and did all the hard work to get through the
chapter approval process - into a successful, effective nonprofit
organization with strong financial controls, transparency, training,
oversight is really hard work.  Delphine has spoken eloquently about it.

A model which dumps too much money/responsibility onto a chapter before
they are ready for it is not a valid service to anyone.  A model which
allows chapters to go off the rails with little or no recourse other
than some kind of disastrous legal battle or something would also not be
a valid service to anyone.

When I look at the track record of many chapters to date, I see that
we've asked too much, too soon, and it's not causing happiness.

I think the new approach, if thoughtfully pursued with lots of
good-faith input and collaboration by all, can really make a huge
difference.

--Jimbo