[Foundation-l] Like button

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Wed Aug 10 13:16:15 UTC 2011

Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
> MZMcBride wrote:
>> Hmm, it'd be a neat extension for Commons. I don't think "like" or "+1"
>> should be used, as they're not sufficiently wiki. But something that
>> expresses the same sentiment, that allows users to express approval of
>> good photos (similar to Flickr), could be cool.
>
> Is the talk page not good enough?

Well, you could put the expressions of approval on the talk page or below
the file. I think putting them below the file (on the file description page)
is more obvious, personally.

If you're asking whether clicking edit, typing "* I like this photo.
--~~~~", and saving the page is easier or better user interface than having
a button that does it for you automatically, it seems fairly clear which is
superior. It isn't even really a close contest.

There's nothing wrong with expressing approval for creativity and there's
nothing wrong with making it less painful for users to do so.

MZMcBride