[Foundation-l] Chapters

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 05:44:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It is not so much that I believe chapters should lead the movement as that
> I am certain WMF cannot successfully lead the movement.
>
> It seems to me that these changes are about making chapters more into
> franchises.  Which I find to be exactly backwards. Chapters in my mind
> should be diverse entities. Embracing whatever is most effective in their
> little slice of the world. I think they should be ambitious in seeking out
> what inspires local population to embrace our movement. The way to encourage
> innovation is to push self-direction and refrain from being too judgmental
> so long as there is trending improvement. I believe that franchises will not
> be well received and will by and large fail. Maybe I am wrong about the
> direction people are pushing, maybe I am right about the direction but wrong
> about the poor outcome. I certainly can't have much of an effect on things.
>
> I have really tried to share the underlying basis that leads me to think
> this is a poor idea so people can consider the information and comes to
> their own conclusions. Although I know some of it is hard for me to
> articulate clearly. If you think my conclusion is stretches way over the
> limits I would like to understand which underlying concept I have drawn on
> is the poorest foundation.  I sincerely would like to correct my
> understanding if I have the wrong idea or placed a disproportionate amount
> of importance on something. Really I am open to changing my opinion if
> someone has convincing information.
>
> BirgitteSB

I completely understood your point, BirgitteSB.  The title of "chapters" has
always brought your ideal to my mind.  I don't hold a personal opinion on
chapters since I don't participate in that aspect of Wikimedia, but it is
best expressed why chapters come to my mind: the American fraternity system
for Universities.

<pause to let a few that have met me in person and have had this
conversation roll their eyes>
</pause>

The idea is that a fraternity is started by a local group.  They have
friends and equaintances that go to other schools and may want to start
their own chapter.  If it is successful, now there is collective governance
needed by a Grand Chapter.  Eventually the Grand Chapter, if the fraternity
is successful in expanding, falls into the roll of legal council, broad
policy development, copyrights, educational material, etc.  The manner of
the finance model gets interesting.

Local chapters exist to serve the ideals locally, and also to promote the
grand cause.  Most all financing comes from member dues, a fraction of which
go to the GC, and support operations.  They develop local policy, file for
relevant incorporation and tax status, and respond with audits and reports
to the GC.  Statistically, very very few chapters have substantial
endowments.

The Grand Chapter lives off of major gifts, endowments, and annual
fundraising.  Similar to the WMF in the early days (neigh on two years ago),
you can name most of the office staff off the top of your head if you're in
a leadership position.  The power behind the fundraising model is that most
of the serious, committed donors, would give to the GC instead of their
local chapter.  Why?  Because they probably know how the local chapter
spends its money relative to the principles of spreading the fraternity.
 They still give to their chapter, but they're not going to toss it $25,000
USD.

Based on the model you desire, Birgitte, my ultimate question is how many
chapters can sell me how and why they should operate with, say, 80% of funds
raised in retention?  It needs to be a central focus for chapters to be able
to answer this question if they wish to be the grassroots, autonomous
driving force that they have the potential to be.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan