[Foundation-l] Chapters

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Tue Aug 9 15:25:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 10:11:49 -0500, Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com wrote:
>> And just to add to the argument, the projects are divided by language,
>> and
>> not by jurisdiction. Whereas in many cases it may be unimportant (for
>> instance, we can safely assume that most of the activbities of the
>> Swedish
>> chapter are more related to Swedish-language projects, and if there is
>> any
>> chapter which "caters" to Swedisg-language projects it is the Swedish
>> chapter), this is not correct for most of the major languages (English,
>> French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian ...)
>>

> You are quite right about the limitations of chapters. However, I don't
> see how these limiting factors are addressed by instead dealing with WMF
> directly.  I think this is an example of "perfect being the enemy of
good
> enough".
>
> BirgitteSB

Well, to give an example, I am perfectly fine with the recent WMF
resolution on BLP and I am willing to comply. However, if such a resolution
were issued by one of the chapters (for this matter it is irrelevant which
chapter would do it) I would not feel myself in any way obliged to comply
with such a resolution. No chapter has any jurisdiction over the Russian
Wikipedia to which I used to contribute and over English Wikipedia to which
I contribute now.

Cheers
Yaroslav