[Foundation-l] Board letter about fundraising and chapters

Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 12:48:30 UTC 2011

On Aug 6, 2011, at 2:41 AM, Samuel Klein <sjklein at hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hello Birgitte,
>
> Thank you for these comments and edits/suggestions.  [all: please also
> post suggestions on Meta. most people are not subscribed to this
> list.]
>
> This Board letter was published on short notice.  Once it was clear
> that the issue should be raised and discussed this year, we wanted to
> share our thoughts immediately.  There is room to improve these ideas,
> and suggestions are welcome.
>
> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 3:07 AM,  <Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> ** The organization's current financial resources are not enough to fund
>>> proposed program work.
>>
>> This would be best to be written up as only applicable so long as WMF's current financial resources are not enough to fund proposed program work using the same criteria.
>
> Perhaps.  A regional organization can often do things more
> effectively; and there is also value in some level of decentralized
> and duplicated effort, to avoid single points of failure.

I don't think I was clear on this.  The idea seems to be that a chapter that is fully funded shouldn't participate in fundraising until it proposes how to expand it's program work.  My suggestion is that makes sense only when the chapter's lack of participation doesn't result in the funds going directly to a fully funded WMF that hasn't expanded it's program work in the way they are asking the chapter.  The main point of this suggestion is to keep the criteria sane. If the criteria used to evaluate a chapter were applied to WMF and they both fail the criteria this becomes inapplicable.

BirgitteSB