[Foundation-l] Board letter about fundraising and chapters

Victor Vasiliev vasilvv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 21:09:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Béria Lima <berialima at gmail.com> wrote:
> I sugguest you to go tough chapters report and ask what they are doing with
> the money they receive in Fundraising. They need to be transparent about
> what they are doing, but WMF does not have a "policy" status over that.

Well, right now many chapters fail to handle such basic transparency
thing like publishing an annual report (seriously, look at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reports ). If they fail, Wikimedia
Foundation, as an organization that empowers them to collect money
through the banners, may act as an oversight and revoke that
privilege. I do not believe that this is the proper process to do
that, but I certainly agree that it is what to be done.

--vvv