[Foundation-l] Board letter about fundraising and chapters

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Fri Aug 5 21:01:13 UTC 2011

Béria Lima wrote:
> The discussion in Internal-l is case-to-case and don't concern people who
> are not involved in the chapter in discussion or WMF.

Where did the money come from? I think it unambiguously concerns people who
are part of the Wikimedia community (broadly defined), seeing as they were
the ones to donate the money.

> And - again - WMF don't "give money to chapters" in fundraising. The chapter
> earn it alone. And the only thing to be in the way is the fundraising
> agreement. Who - again - says that 50% goes to WMF and 50% stay with the
> chapter. If that 50% is more than what the chapter need, is not WMF job to
> ask the money back, because - again - the money don't belong to WMF.

The chapters earned the money by doing what, exactly?

> I sugguest you to go tough chapters report and ask what they are doing with
> the money they receive in Fundraising. They need to be transparent about
> what they are doing, but WMF does not have a "policy" status over that.

Do you know if there's a chart listing how much money each chapter received
(or earned) from the past fundraiser? Is there a list of the chapters that
were involved, at least?

MZMcBride