[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 85, Issue 52

Joan Goma jrgoma at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 07:08:05 UTC 2011

> Assuming that your analysis is perfectly correct what then? Informal
> opinions from lawyers are still nothing more than opinions. Even a fully
> researched legal opinion won't help much; that kind of legal research
> may be too subtle for the average Wikipedian's simplistic conception of
> law.  The court's opinion is the only one that matters, and even then
> only in that court's country.
>
> Who is going to test the law? Who is going to bear the expense of taking
> all this to court when the damages are so very small?  What is the
> pragmatic solution?
>
> Ray

I don’t know but I only see two possibilities:

A) We find a way to enforce the re-licensing of the derivative works under
the same license.

B) We change the license to a none-commercial one and issue a commercial
license only to WMF.

I don’t feel very happy by releasing my works under a free license if in
practice everybody can reuse my work and exploit it in under a privative
license.