[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:36:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 16:30, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 April 2011 23:24, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Right, I understand that. But my question is whether an employment ad
>> in America could lawfully say (or imply), "Ideally your native
>> language is not Urdu."
>

> The problem is that that's not what the ad says. As Risker pointed
> out, you're going way into left field here.
>
> * What is the question you are asking?
> * What is the moral point you are attempting to make?
> * What is your recommended course of action?
> * Should you have been consulted?

The point seems to me to be an obvious one. The point of substituting
Urdu for English is to make the analogy more precise, to bring out the
structure of the sentence. Given that we're discussing precision of
language, I'm sorry I'm not able to be precise enough to communicate
it properly.

But here we see something that happens on this list a lot. Someone
questions or disagrees, and they're attacked. Why is that? What is it
that makes questioning a bad thing?

Sarah