[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:33:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 13:29, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 April 2011 15:17, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 13:07, Béria Lima <berialima at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Is not a Bias Sarah. Anyone can apply, but they have to know english (if
>> not
>> > as 1º language as 2º one) and another language (if english is the 1º
>> one).
>> > If this person is american, chinese, brazilian or african (i imagine)
>> that
>> > really don't care
>> > _____
>> > *Béria Lima*
>> > <http://wikimedia.pt/> (351) 925 171 484
>>
>> It doesn't say that, Béria. It seems to say that, ideally, the
>> successful applicant will not have English as a first language, i.e.
>> will not be from most of Canada, the United States, Australia, New
>> Zealand, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Barbados, Trinidad and
>> Tobago, and several more.
>>
>> That rules out a huge number of Wikimedians (most, in fact) just
>> because of their birthplace and culture.
>>
>> The ad says: "Demonstrated ability to work (speak, read, write at a
>> professional level) effectively in a language other than English
>> (ideally as a native speaker)"
>>

> Not quite sure where you're coming from there.  Today I've interacted with
> about 60 professional colleagues. They're all Canadians but I'd venture to
> guess that at least a third would consider themselves native speakers of at
> least one other language.

Not sure what you mean, Risker. The point is that the ad is
discriminating against people who are native English speakers, i.e.
because of their origins and culture. The question is whether that's
allowed under whatever employment legislation governs the hiring. And
law apart, it seems unfair.

Sarah