[Foundation-l] Board Resolution: Openness

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 20:16:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 13:54, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> * "how do I delete an article?" and its counterpart: "why was my
>> article deleted?"
>> * "how do I merge/split an article?"
>> * "hey, can I reference a blogpost in this article?"
>>
>> There are formatting questions that aren't so easy to figure out either:
>> * "how do I put a footnote in an article?"
>> * "how do I find and insert an infobox?"
>
> In fact a lot of those issues are spelled out very clearly. See
> [[WP:BLOGS]] for whether you can reference a blogpost. See
> [[WP:INCITE]] for a quick way to add a footnote. See
> [[Category:Infobox templates]] for how to add an infobox.

I am pleased that all these areas have been so well documented (I have
a hard time agreeing that AfD is easy to use, though!) Is that true
for everything, though? Would it be worthwhile to fix up other
procedure pages?

I didn't list these particular examples because I thought they were
necessarily the hardest problems on the wiki; I listed them because
they're common questions and have historically been the source of a
lot of discussion. This is by no means an exclusive list :) And
guidelines need to be thought of in context too -- how do you get from
someone asking about their citation to the guideline above? Is there a
clear path? Is it easy to find? Let's think big here about improving
the help pages in general.

-- phoebe