[Foundation-l] Board Resolution: Openness

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 09:14:12 UTC 2011

Both excellent ideas.

To which I'd add - a lot of websites have live chat support, "click here to
chat to a customer service agent".

A *"click to get help from an experienced editor"* button, along with the
reverse suggested *"An experienced editor would like to talk to you, click
to accept"* popup/notice, would probably work wonders in terms of support
and perceived friendliness.

You'd want user groups for "respond to request for help" and "initiate
dialog", and then to leave it to the community how those are given - whether
either is bundled with adminship, or handed out like rollback and reviewer
rights. Also you'd want "chat logs" as an item in *Special:Log* so that all
chats of this kind are "on the record". As a bonus feature, the
infrastructure to invite other users to join a chat (eg to add extra
expertize or to mediate a minor disagreement) would be worth noting for
future.

FT2