[Foundation-l] Board Resolution: Openness

Dror Kamir dqamir at bezeqint.net
Sun Apr 10 04:34:47 UTC 2011

I can give plenty of problematic behaviors of veteran users toward new
users on the English Wikipedia. I don't know whether simplification of
rules and guidelines are the way to deal with them (although I'm all in
favor of simplification). Here are just a few of these behaviors as
examples (and I might repeat things I wrote in my previous messages). I
don't know if these issues have been addressed on the strategy project.
There are so many subjects there, that we might have lost the forest for
the trees.

1. A new user provides new information without adhering to the
recommended style. Most chances that the edit be reverted by a veteran
user rather than stylized to be in line with the rest of the article.

2. New user provides interesting new information without providing
sources. Most chances that this edit be reverted and the user considered
disruptor, rather than someone check the new contribution against
sources. The new user might have read this information and lost access
to the source, he might know something from personal experience, but
don't know how to source it. The right move on behalf of a veteran user
would be to find a source, or at least move the new information to the
talk page with a request that anyone who has access to a relevant
sources would provide them, but this seldom happens.

3. A veteran user does not like the contributions of a new user. S/he
files a complaint about the new user being a sockpuppet. The new user is
almost immediately blocked without knowing why (as s/he doesn't even
know what sockpuppet it), without being able to defend himself, and
without knowing to whom s/he can appeal.

4. A veteran user "hijacks" an article (either because s/he feel
attached to it, seen many vandalism on this article before or even have
a certain political opinion which s/he wants to promote). S/he prevents
edits to this article from new users. Most chances are that the new
users would be the ones blamed for disruptive behavior than the veteran
user.

  Dror K

בתאריך 10/04/11 06:20, ציטוט Risker: