[Foundation-l] Request for moderation of Dan Rosenthal and Andrew Garrett

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Tue Apr 5 00:32:49 UTC 2011

After a cool off period of about 48 hours and considerable
reflection, it is my conviction that the posts of two above mentioned
editors should be moderated from now on.

Andrew Garrett wrote, Sun Apr 3 10:13:26 UTC 2011, "Your messages are
deliberately obnoxious, unpleasant, and off-topic to boot." it is
unclear what messages he is referring to, but these are not
acceptable terms to classify anybody's messages, unless it is
acceptable that others classify Andrew Garrett's or anybody else's
messages as "deliberately obnoxious, unpleasant, and off-topic to
boot." and therefore asks him or them to "Cut it out, please." "What
is good for the goose is good for the gander."

After engaging in a "friendly and polite exchange" with Dan
Rosenthal, he saw fit to send me an e-mail, Sun, 3 Apr 2011 05:26,
concerning "[Foundation-l] Wiki-revolution," using language
unbecoming to a gentleman, that I'll not repeat. This kind of
behavior cannot and should not be tolerated from members of this
list. Should everybody start sending unspeakable messages to other
members of the list? I do have experience of exchanging off list
messages with other members, but those were used for clarification,
to reach a mutual understanding and establish new bridges and avenues
of communication. They were used to improve relations with other
members and, as a result, improve the peaceful and cordial exchanges
that should take place on this list, despite any disagreements and
differences of opinion. There can never be any disagreements or
differences of opinion as far as the level of education and manners
used on this list, and towards members of this list both on and off
list. This is no army barracks, farm stables, or brawl among
drunkards on the town fairgrounds.

As Dan Rosenthal might wish to present evidence that no harm was
intended or done, by making public his message, I authorize that he
so does. I have no trouble in reproducing Dan Rosenthal's message on
this list, provided he grants me, here, in public, on this list,
authorization to do it.

I believe that Dan Rosenthal's action called for more severe
sanctions, but I have many reservations concerning all sorts of so
called severe sanctions on this list and Wikimedia projects in
general. We all know how easily they can be circunvented by the less
scrupulous. Therefore, as in the case of Andrew Garrett, my request
is that their posts to be moderated from now on. That should be
sufficient to prevent Dan Rosenthal from coughing again on this list
and hopefully at least make him hesitate before sending unworthy
messages off list.

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado (Vapmachado)