[Foundation-l] Paid editing, was Re: Ban and moderate

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Fri Oct 22 21:04:57 UTC 2010

> Kohs
> will
> likely return with sockpuppets on the mailing list.  He is relentless
> when
> prodded.)

> H.N.

Yes, but he is relentless when not prodded. Unless we chose to open up
Wikipedia to paid editing of the sort he does he will probably continue
to be relentless.

When I was checking out thekohser on freelancer.com I found a couple of
other Wikipedia editors who were bidding on contracts to edit Wikipedia
for money.

One, who had completed two contracts and had accepted a third, seems to
have given up. The other seems to be an excellent editor, but at this
point I have not identified a particular contract of theirs.

The question remains: what do we expect of someone who edits Wikipedia,
or any other foundation project, for money. And frankly, why would we
make trouble for someone living in Bangladesh that is earning what is a
month's salary there, $30, in return for adding an article about some
marginally notable business to Wikipedia?

Our policies remain somewhat unclear, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Paid_editing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Paid_editing_%28policy%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Paid_editing_%28guideline%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Paid_editing_%28guideline%29/Noticeboard

And the Reward Board:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reward_board#Money

These examples are from the English Wikipedia, but potentially apply to
any foundation project.

Fred