[Foundation-l] Public Domain Mark - what does this mean for us?

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Wed Oct 13 20:50:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com>wrote:

> While reading the FAQ of Creative Commons about the new Public Domain
> Mark, I wondered what are the consequences for our projects. Will I
> use PDM in future anyhow on Commons, for example?

Hopefully the main consequence is that the PDM encourages more, and more
accurate, annotating of public domain works elsewhere on the web, which
means a bigger universe for Wikimedia projects to pull from (and into
Commons).

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Copyright_tags#Public_domain is currently
richer and works well as far as I can tell, so I wouldn't advocate for using
PDM directly on Commons. Maybe in the future, if PDM is wildly successful
(use, recognition by users and software, ...), as I hope it will be.

Mike

--
https://creativecommons.net/ml