[Foundation-l] Expertise and Wikipedia redux

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 19:35:12 UTC 2010

This reads like a radical anti-egalitarian manifesto by some young
Internet-based firebrand. Wikipedia is way cool! Universities are dead
institutions walking! We'll all learn off the web! Social networks
will replace campuses! You know the sort of thing:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/opinion-analysis/stand-and-deliver-on-its-last-legs/story-e6frgcko-1225937823844

Then I got to the end and m`y jaw dropped when I saw what the author
did for a living. (Try to read the article without skipping to the
end.)

So. What do we do to distinguish experts from non-experts when we no
longer even have credentials as a marker of expertise? (e.g. there's
not a vast reserve of commercial positions for pure philosophers.)

- d.