[Foundation-l] Five-year WMF targets exclude non-Wikipedia projects

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 03:20:58 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Despite repeated assurances at Wikimania, on lists and on strategywiki,
> that the strategic plan was going to consider all Wikimedia projects as
> important, now at
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Five-year_targets the
> second target, «Increase the amount of information we offer» considers
> only the number of Wikipedia articles.
> «We're aware of the challenges around bot-created articles, articles of
> low quality, etc., and the limited focus on Wikipedia, so this metric
> shouldn't be seen in isolation, but is an important indicator.» Yes, but
> a wrong one.
>
> I'm, very, very disappointed: I have to conclude that all the words on
> community participation etc. were only empty rhetoric.

I am likewise disappointed.  The five year plan _should_ have seen the
other projects as the most likely source of new talent, contributors
and innovation, and should have focused on developing them.

Even worse is the third target, which is _wrong_ because the
Foundation hasn't included other projects in its considerations.  It
says we don't have baselines for quality.  On Wikisource, we _do_ have
empirical data on quality built into in the Proofreading system.

http://wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:ProofreadPage_Statistics

Also, how was the 100,000 contributors per month with 5+ edits
calculated?  Using simple addition of monthly counts for each project,
I can only see 90,000 contributors with >=5 edits.  The figure would
be lower as the contributors to smaller projects usually intersects
the contributors to the larger projects.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Five-Year_Targets.ods

--
John Vandenberg