[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 19:39:47 UTC 2010

In a message dated 11/29/2010 11:33:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
midom.lists at gmail.com writes:

> Hi!
>
> > Go on record, then I'll cite you.
> > An email list is not a citable source, per our policy.
>
> Why would I care about your policy? Which policy is 'our' policy? Why does
> it apply to anything here?
>
> > However a page on the server is citable.
> > So put your reputation up for view, then you'll be citable :)
>
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2010-November/062730.html
>

> Domas

It's isn't my policy, it's our policy.
If you don't know to what I refer, then perhaps you can read up on it.
As far as citing the archives of an email list, that is also not a citable
source.

If Foundation staff and supporters themselves, are *not prepared* to go on
the record with their claims, then why should anyone trust anything they say
on an email list?

That is the very nature of *false authority*, the bane of our project.  I
must say, I'm quite surprised that some people here don't grasp this concept
yet, after the projects being in existence for so many years now, almost a
decade right?  It is a fundamental principle, that we should be citing actual
authorities, not false claims to authority.