[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 09:41:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 6:26 AM,  <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 11/28/2010 9:06:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> russnelson at gmail.com writes:
>
> Yes I agree, the policy is extremely vague.
> We may be struck by lightning, we may be abducted by aliens, we may be
> sentient beings.
> May doesn't say anything.  Why have a policy which uses "may"? So you can
> do anything at all and say "well we did say we MAY..."
> That's not a policy, it's a non-policy.

The policy, by using the word "may" states the maximum amount of what
we may do. It does on the one hand warn users of what *might* be done,
on the other hand ensures them about what might definitely *not* be
done.

> I know quite a lot about operational requirements, and I know that policies
> should state clearly what IS being done, not what may be done.
> It's quite practical to be more explicit.  For example, the policy could
> state clearly what exactly is being done.  That would be more explicit.

Yes, that would be more explicit. It would also mean that every minute
change of procedure would entail a policy change. Policies are not
meant to be descriptions of what we do and how we do it, they are
meant to be the rules that we put on ourselves about what we do and
what we do not do. There are things that we promise to do and there
are things that we promise not to do. But there are also things that
we want to keep a leeway of doing, not doing or doing in a different
way without needing a formal board resolution each time something
changes.