[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 01:36:48 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 6:51 PM, <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
In a message dated 11/28/2010 3:36:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
russnelson at gmail.com writes:

 > You misbelieve. Listen to Aude. She knows what she's talking about.

I'd rather have Aude cite a reliable source.

"The Wikimedia Foundation *MAY* keep raw logs of such
transactions" (emphasis added)

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Privacy_policy

Under the policy, WMF is permitted to collect and keep apache and
squid logs but the policy gives more leeway than what is done in
practice.  WMF does collect squid logs but only 1/1000  sample.  They
don't keep apache access logs, (e.g. I think these are what you mean
by ip server logs) per httpd.conf file that I linked to in earlier
email.

The WMF server config files are there for everyone to see.  Do you not
consider them "reliable" source? Do you not believe they are in fact
the server config settings used by WMF?

There are apache error logs (notice LogLevel) that are collected.
Those are manually purged, as of 2008. (source: Tim Starling http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2008-September/045811.html
)

In that thread, you can read more of what Tim and others had to say on
to, including Sue.

I can't say more than that but hope you have enough info and sources.

Cheers,
-Katie (@aude)

People are not reliable sources.  No living person is such an authority
that we should listen to that person.  Not even on their own
biography, much
less anything else.

The role of the expert is not to spout dogma, but rather to build a case
using citable sources.  No one is immune from this diction.  The
Archangel
Gabriel told me so.

On a side-note you completely ignored what I actually stated.
Aude mentioned the checkuser logs.  I pointed out that IP server logs
are
*not* the same thing as checkuser logs.  The privacy policy states
that these
exist, that they are kept.  It states or at least implies that as I
said,
they are not the same thing as the checkuser logs.

It does not state for how long, either is kept.

So there.