[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Nov 28 21:27:29 UTC 2010

My belief is that this is not so.  Checkuser logs are not the same thing as
IP logs.

Are you suggesting that should a court, three months-and-a-day after a
logged in user made a libelous edit, order the WMF to release the IP address of
that user, they would not be able to do so?  I suggest they would and
probably have.

I would like to see a clear citation to where, when and how the WMF retains
logs of user activity.  Is there actually such an official statement
somewhere?  And could anyone cite it with a link?

The issue with the AOL Search Scandal is a red herring.  People are not
going to be searching for their own phone number or Social Security numbers
within Wikipedia.  And even if someone searches for such a thing, there is no
way to know that they are looking for details on themselves, or on someone
else.

Our entry on that regardless notes a lawsuit *four years old* with no
resolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_search_data_scandal

Indicative I suggest of it being a non-story.