[Foundation-l] Fwd: Re: [VereinDE-l] Bericht zur Verleihung der Zedler-Me...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 18:48:52 UTC 2010

In a message dated 11/27/2010 7:05:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
russnelson at gmail.com writes:

> Nothing in their experience base can be used
> unless it's already in print somewhere ... so how is their experience
> useful? I'm not calling into question the [[citation needed]] policy, but
> instead the idea that domain experts (professional, teachers, scientists)
> are needed to improve Wikipedia. >>

It's not necessarily experience that we would seek, but rather knowledge.
Knowledge which can be transmitted to your students exactly because it can
be cited, not because you simply *know*.  Knowing in many cases is simply a
short-hand for "I'm too lazy to figure out where to look it up."

The domain expertise is useful because experts, true experts not faux ones,
know where exactly to look it up.  And cite that.