[Foundation-l] 5M by 2 weeks

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 12:08:29 UTC 2010

Hoi,
The fundraiser is doing well and, I totally agree that this is the best
organised fundraiser so far. It has to be because this is the most ambitious
fundraiser as well. I agree with Naoko that internationalisation and
localisation are key when the fund raising is to be a global success.

When the fundraiser is to be a global success, it is vital that our
international communities are part of the solution.  This has also been
considered and there has been a timely meeting in Europe to inform / enthuse
/ co-opt them in the work needed.

Because of the geo-tagging of traffic, we know from what country people
connect to our projects. When we do, we also know what currency they have in
their pocket. It is best when we ask people to donate in their local
currency and in their own language.

What can be done better next year is the translation and localisation
itself. At this time there are two platform where this work is done. There
is Meta and translatewiki.net one uses only standard Wiki technology and the
other uses technology that is made for localisation and translation as well.
Adopting the TWN technology will enhance the quality and the process.

When the technology is harmonised, we may find that people are more likely
to work both on Meta and on TWN. Currently 33 languages are adequately
localised at TWN. It is strange that languages like Italian and Serbian are
still poorly given that there is a chapter in Italy and Serbia.

As to translating itself, many texts like Jimmy's appeal are best translated
in a way that ensures that the appeal rings true in translation. This means
that literal translations are not necessarily the best choice.
Thanks,
       Gerard