[Foundation-l] Photo contests in DE and NL

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 23 06:38:22 UTC 2010

Good Job !
We were inspired by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:GerardM who Spoke the
freesb.eu conf in Vlore Albania and motivated us to start our own Photo
Contest for Kosovo.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/BestPictureOfKosovoForWikipediaContestThere
is still alot to do, most of the activity is on Facebook, but we are
slowly getting people to free pictures up for commons under a creative
commons license. Any who wants to help nominate pictures or review them
would be great.
thanks,
mike

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A coincidence: last weekend, in Germany and the Netherlands both the
> winners of photo contests were made public. In Germany the Zedler
> Medaille jury gave no first and second prize, while in the Netherlands
> the competition Wiki loves monuments honoured quite a number of
> winners.
> (In English about the Dutch gathering:
> http://zikoblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/21/mini-conference-in-utrecht/ )
>
> Maybe the Zedler criteria were not made clear enough to the
> participants, I don't know. In the Dutch case, I was stunned and
> positively impressed by the straight forward application of three
> simple criteria: the picture had to be clear (focused etc.),
> encyclopedic and beautiful.
>
> The Dutch winner is this picture:
>
> http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Amsterdam_-_Vijzelstraat_27-35_%28halsgevel%29.JPG
> It may not meet the requirements of a purely technically or
> esthetically oriented jury. But it has great encyclopedic value. It
> shows the monument, a 17th century building in Amsterdam, in its
> actual modern use. On the right, you see an old picture of how the
> building looked like earlier. The advertisement for light bulb and the
> gentlemen dressed in modern leisure related fashion fix the picture
> into our modern times.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>

> --
> Ziko van Dijk
> The Netherlands
> http://zikoblog.wordpress.com/

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania flossk.org
flossal.org