[Foundation-l] PediaPress

Robert S. Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sat Nov 13 23:26:44 UTC 2010

On 11/13/2010 03:17 PM, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
> On 11/13/10 12:25 PM, Robert S. Horning wrote:
>
>> Much of what I was trying to get started was covered on this very
>> mailing list.  If you go into the archives and look up Wikijunior to see
>> some of the efforts that were made, including some initial publications
>> that were made through Lulu (that were also removed from Lulu at the
>> request of the WMF).  The organizing efforts were being done on
>> Wikibooks as much as could be done, and that was pretty much where it
>> ended too. The problem was that PediaPress offered money, which we didn't.
>>

> So you're saying that the Foundation should have partnered with a
> completely proprietary service (Lulu), that wasn't interested in
> donating any software or income back to the Foundation? That doesn't
> sound like a very appealing partnership, nor can I imagine the community
> supporting such a decision (especially considering how skeptical they've
> been of the PediaPress partnership).
>
> Ryan Kaldari

No, I'm saying that a completely private effort that attempted to
publish content through Lulu was thrwarted on the grounds of trademark
infringement.  It was published under the title "Wikijunior Big Cats"
and had some other problems that sort of implied that the WMF was more
involved in the publication than was really the case.

Trademark usage guidelines never have really been spelled out very well
and it still is mostly make an attempt and the WMF will bite back if
they think you are wrong.

Lulu was selected mainly as a starting point as they did print on
demand, one of the first such services that allowed you to upload PDF
files over the internet instead of having to hand-carry your manuscript
physically to a printer or using snail mail.  The relationship with Lulu
was not exclusive either and they were used simply as a printer, not as
a publisher.  Lulu give you lots of options on how you can do things,
and as I pointed out, the whole issue about how money was going to be
dealt with never really got squared away.  These books were being sold
on Lulu at cost, so the editors involved with setting them up on that
site weren't making a dime of profit.  As I also said, it was very
preliminary but there were some books being offered at the time made up
of content from the Wikijunior efforts.

Remember, the goal here was to distribute the content, not to make a
profit.  That is the point I'm trying to drive home here.

Every effort was made to look at other options, and in terms of
community consensus the general feeling was rather favorable to Lulu,
knowing full well that other options could be found at a later time.

The difference between PediaPress and this other effort is that
PediaPress came from the top down with money in hand, and the group I
had was mostly grass roots with little money to start with in terms of
getting things going.  That was precisely why we were using Lulu.
Perhaps PediaPress was a better choice even in hindsight, but I am
saying that they were selected over other efforts including ones
emerging from the community that might possibly have turned out in a
substantially different way than the current relationship between
PediaPress and the WMF.

-- Robert Horning