[Foundation-l] PediaPress

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sat Nov 13 23:04:23 UTC 2010

In a message dated 11/13/2010 11:08:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
magnusmanske at googlemail.com writes:

> 1. Given the limited of number services (one, plus Robert's which I
> missed in the thread, if it still exists), it probably seemed
> pointless
> 2. Any service would have to develop the appropriate interface to
> MediaWiki first, and also integrate with Wikimedia servers, as far as
> I can tell; therefore, users adding buttons would be non-functional
> without Foundation's active help anyway
> 3. PediaPress might have "bought" a head start with the extension.
> This is pure speculation on my part, though.

1) Assumption.  We do not know how many services there might be. Assuming
there is only one, because one one has been allowed is beating a man with his
own staff.

2) This is not true.  Clicking "Make a book out of this page, and hold on
I'm going to add some more pages to this book" has nothing to do with
integration.  I can build a list of the pages you choose, right now, with a Php
script and without any foundation approval.  My button interface might not be
"pretty" of course, but it would work.

3) Under what RFP ?  How was it chosen, how was it vetted, why is the
process to gain this approval now closed to any rival?